what this blog is about

This blog is an eclectic one, having a little bit of everything thrown in here. I hope you enjoy it!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 15

Bible verse. I assume they meant your favorite Bible verse. I tried to think of my favorite and I soon realized that my favorite scriptures are all Book of Mormon verses, not Bible verses.
I turned to the hymn book. The hymns all have scripture references at the bottom that go along with the song, or were the inspiration the writers used when penning the words. I quickly started looking for my favorite hymns to find a Bible verse that went along with one. I soon fell upon Hymn # 26, Joseph Smith's First Prayer. I love his hymn and don't think we sing it enough in church. I looked at the bottom to find the scripture. I didn't even need to look this one up. It's a scripture mastery verse that I memorized in seminary back in High School.
    
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5.

It all fell into place for me then. My favorite scriptures may all be from the Book of Mormon, but without this scripture, Joseph wouldn't have known what to do to answer the simple question he had of what church to join. He would have never gone into that beautiful grove to pray earnestly to the Father. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints would never have been restored. Without Joseph reading this verse, the Book of Mormon would never have been translated.
I am so happy that Joseph Smith, at the young age of 14, had the faith to pray to our Father in Heaven. I know he had faith because of the next verse found in James:
  
   "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." James 1:6

I can't even begin to imagine what my life would be like without the actions that Joseph took, not only as a youth, but for the remainder of his life. I'm very grateful for his courage, faith, and sacrifice.

I know you can't read the words to the song in the picture, so here they are:

Oh, how lovely was the morning!
Radiant beamed the sun above.
Bees were humming, sweet birds singing,
Music ringing thru the grove,
When within the shady woodland Joseph sought the God of love,
When within the shady woodland Joseph sought the God of love.

Humbly kneeling, sweet appealing
Twas the boy's first uttered prayer
When the pow'rs of sin assailing
Filled his soul with deep despair;
But undaunted, still he trusted in his Heav'nly Father's care,
But undaunted, still he trusted in his Heav'nly Father's care.


Suddenly a light descended,
Britghter far than noonday sun,
And a shining, glorious pillar
O'er him fell, around him shone,
While appeared two heav'nly beings, God the Father and the Son,
While appeared two heav'nly beings, God the Father and the Son.

"Joseph, this is my Beloved, 
Hear him!" Oh, how sweet the word!
Joseph's humble prayer was answered,
And he listened to the Lord.
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, for he saw the living God,
Oh, what rapture filled his bosom, for he saw the living God.

No comments:

Post a Comment