what this blog is about

This blog is an eclectic one, having a little bit of everything thrown in here. I hope you enjoy it!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Harry Potter Invitations

As many of my blog readers know, Carma and I are hosting a Harry Potter marathon in a couple of weeks. We just finished up the invitations last night. We had a lot of fun coming up with the idea for the invites. We wanted them to look like parchment with a wax seal on the back.
Carma making invitations
While Carma kept herself busy printing, measuring, and cutting out the invitations, I worked on making the wax seals. I carved a stamp to use as the seal design. It took a few tries before I got down how much wax to use for each seal. We used wax seal sticks that you put in a hot glue gun.  When I switched from the red to the gold colored wax, the gold ones ended up with a swirl of red in them. I really like how it made them look.
Hogwarts Wax Seals
We got all the invites folded and used adhesive dots to attach the seals.
Sorry that the photos are a little hard to see. We have horrible lighting in our house. I tried using the flash on my camera, but everything came out so shiny that it was hard to tell what the photo was of.  I just now saw the typo at the end of the invitation. It says to RSVP by owl post of muggle telephone. Should say or muggle telephone. Oops! I guess it's a little late now since we've sealed them all.
Invitation Text
When we finished, we had a nice pile of invitations. Carma and I made ones for ourselves just because they looked really cool and we wanted one to keep.
The finished invitations
We addressed each invite like Harry's Hogwarts letter, listing their name, address, and the cupboard under the stairs.
We've had so much fun making everything for this event. I know that everyone who comes is going to have a great time! I will be glad when this is over, though. We've been putting this together for the last eight months now, and it will be nice to relax. I might go a little stir crazy at home for a while afterwords because every night I come home and work on Harry Potter stuff. What will I do with my time when this is over?

6 comments:

  1. Really nice invitations! very creative :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice.. can u tell about how to make that wax seal...,or emm by the other alternate way. TQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm not ignoring you guys I just haven't had any time to even log on to my blog lately! I made the wax seals using a hand carved stamp and glue gun sealing wax. Check out nostalgicimpressions.com for info in making wax seals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, i'm having a harry potter birthday party and i'm TRYING to make proper invitations, it's not working. So as Ron would say " You're bloody brilliant!"

      Delete
    2. I hope you have a fantastic party! If you and your guests have even half the fun we had, you're doing it right!

      Delete
  4. HR8ETH78RE4HT8483HT8RGH84T8RHT48U4HT843HT8UHR88RT488RU83T8435UT843U43434RT347RY734Y7823Y47843YR8734Y743Y743Y743Y5R4Y37RY3478Y743Y743Y7474YT7345Y7834Y743Y R3278237Y87EYY78RY78RYRYRYRYYR7YYYR7832Y47832Y47834Y78RY734RY7834YY34432YFE7WRY732

    ReplyDelete