what this blog is about

This blog is an eclectic one, having a little bit of everything thrown in here. I hope you enjoy it!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Ten Years Later: Remembering 9/11

I was a senior in high school. I had been listening to a CD on my way to school. When I arrived, early (I hate being late), the halls were unnaturally quite. The TVs in all of the classrooms were all on CNN. I found some of my friends, and was shocked to see their worried and tearful faces. A plane has hit one of the World Trade Center towers in New York. I had no idea what the Twin Towers were at that time, but I understood the terribleness of the event that was happening. A second plane has hit the towers. I remember sitting in choir, every eye glued to the TV, when the first tower fell. A collective gasp rang through the room. Then the crying began. Even here in Boise, ID, there were kids, teachers, and friends who had loved ones in New York that they were now fearing for. I remember that day as a day of silence, questions, tears, prayers, and hugs. Every class was spent watching and waiting for more information. I had to work that night at the fast food place I was employed at. We were really slow. A woman came in and said that she worked at the mall. They closed four hours early because nobody wanted to go out into crowded public areas. There was a fear because of the military bases in the area. Would they be a target?

I saved the papers from that week. There wasn't a single section of the paper that wasn't devoted to reporting the attack. Yesterday, I spent a few hours photographing these papers and putting a slideshow together. I am not a professional photographer, cinematographer, nor am I a computer expert. I know enough to get by in life. For some reason, blogger won't let me load the slide show, so I will just put up a few of the photos. I am sorry for the blurriness of some of the photos. We will never forget.












2 comments:

  1. And I just cried all over again. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was close to tears both yesterday when I was photographing the papers, and then also today when writing up the post.

    ReplyDelete